Friday, January 4, 2013

Boosters and Bras

My daughter turned 8 about a month ago. When she did, we celebrated and ceremoniously got rid of her booster seat out of the minivan (as in California, the law required her to be in it until she was at least 8). Shortly after that, she received a training bra in a bag of hand me down clothes from a neighbor. I thought she would be embarrassed about it, but to my surprise, she fell in love with it and started wearing it every day. Since no one should have to wear any garment every day, I went out yesterday and bought her two more. I stood there in the store laughing, knowing that somehow this was one of those moments that mark the passage of time and the rapid move from baby to grown up and a moment that moved me that much closer to losing my little girl. But somehow, standing there in the store, I was ok with it. I was almost excited and started looking at all the different colors and styles she could have. I calmed down and just got two white ones so that she could come back and pick more exciting ones if she wanted to. But when I walked out of the store and out to the car in the parking lot and opened her door and threw the bras into the seat where the booster had just been, it hit me. From boosters to bras... just... like... that.

2 comments:

  1. Having just watched our daughter drive away in a truck (newly received her license), I can truly appreciate how fast the time flies. I just couldn't have written it as well. You made me cry and laugh in the same blog.
    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Now just freeze our kids where they are.

    ReplyDelete