Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Fill Their Room

So we all get the invitations that we don't want. Not that we don't want them. Just that sometimes we don't feel like it. We don't feel like the shower, or awards night, or funeral, or wedding, or birthday party, or house warming or the Christmas party, or ... I know. It sounds insensitive. But how many times are you invited to something and then the night it rolls around, you just want to sit at home and do the laundry you haven't done in forever? Or sit and have a drink? Or sit and watch the game? Or sit? It happens to all of us. But what I try to tell myself in each of those circumstances is, "Fill their room".

It's not about you or me. It's about the person who sent the invitation. They want you there. Whatever it is is important to them. And nothing feels worse than an empty room. We've all imagined our funerals, or maybe we haven't. Maybe I'm just weird. But an empty room is not what any of us hope for, I think. Sometimes our role is no more than filling the space. Let the person you care about look out at their event and see their space filled with people that cared enough to show up. Even when you don't feel like it, fill their room.

1 comment:

  1. wow, and I have been avoiding some invitations just to have down time. Makes me reconsider some of them.
    Thanks for the perspective, and please know that whenever humanly possible I will fill your room

    ReplyDelete