Monday, January 7, 2013

Enough with the Lights!

Have you ever noticed how many things in your house have lights? Try sleeping on the couch one night. I slept on the couch the other night to have a sleepover with my daughter. When the lights turned off, it was like being in a laser tag waiting room. I counted more than 15 lights between the living room and the kitchen. And many of these things were turned off! The tv was off, but the glowing VISIO sign was there to remind me, I guess, in the middle of the night of the brand of tv I bought. The computer on button glows, the receiver, the dvd player button, the xbox, and that was just in to living room. There was a bright blue light coming from the kitchen and I walked out to see if it was something that was essential for life. It was the label maker! Now I can see needing to find the tv button, possibly in the dark, but the label maker??? And when I pushed the glowing button to hopefully turn it off, labels just started ejecting. I had to lay a towel over it. Also in the kitchen, the computer, computer monitor, keyboard, power supply, speakers, dishwasher and fridge buttons all glow. I don't know if this bothers anyone else, but really, it would be nice to turn off the lights in the house and have it actually be dark. In the bedroom last night, I counted have bright visible lights when you turn off the room lights: the smoke alarm, computer monitor, vcr player (yes, we still have one), dvd player, wii, cell phone, cell phone power supply, alarm clock (well that's ok), and I think that's it. And these things just don't emit a small soft light. It's the new bright laser-like LED light. I know it's a minor first world problem (as my friend likes to point out continuously), but still, it's annoying. I would be impressed and more likely to buy a product if one of it's selling points was "No Annoying Unnecessary Lights".

3 comments:

  1. This is so funny. I just had a bout of ear-ringing insomnia so I moved to the couch (didn't want to wake husband). I seriously got up to put a towel on the new coffee pot. Got up again to put my fish in the dark (lights off the tank). Then the DVR glowed, and the neighbor's light thru the window. And my Iphone charger actually glows. Creepy high tech blue lights EVERYWHERE! No respite apparently unless I sleep with blindfold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone needs to start a new line of "lightless" electronics. I'm tellin' you. It's going to happen. And then I'll feel bad that someone stole my idea.

      Delete
  2. This made me giggle to myself. I thought about the down spouts outside your Jacobsen Rd house when it would rain. You hated to heard the sound of water hitting the ground outside your bedroom. I agree the unnecessary lights aglow from products that are supposedly off it a bit ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete