Sunday, May 26, 2013

Mr. Mile

So part of my duties as a middle school science teacher is to teach "Family Life" (sex ed) to 7th graders. It's the most wonderful time of the year (Ooh, I'll write words to a song for that!). Truly. I love it. The kids are horrified by half of what they learn and I really believe it helps them decide they are not ready for sexual activity. And I believe it really is important. Most of these kids really don't have much accurate information about their bodies or about consequences of what they decide to do with their bodies. With the internet, kids have access to way too much adult content way too soon in life. Even if they aren't looking at it themselves, their friends and classmates are and they're all talking about it. You can't keep them away from it completely. So I hope it's clear, that even though I may joke about the funny things that happen during family life, I truly take it seriously and believe that what they are learning is vital.

SO, here's my best story so far this time through it. Some of the kids are terrified and embarrassed and won't ask a single question. But some are really brave and daring in their questions. Makes you wonder if they are just trying to get attention or if they're really as knowledgable as they sound. So one girl raises her hand and says, "Does the penis grow for a males' entire life?" Now I can't respond with all of the things that pop into my head. I have to say, "No. About the time a male is done growing as tall as he will, all growth stops, including the penis." She says, "But it grows during an erection." And I say, "Yes, but even that is not true for all males." What I don't say is "You're either a shower or a grower." I do say, "An erection can change the size of the penis a lot or a little. Everyone's different." So she looks a little surprised and says with a bit of astonishment, "How much does it grow with an erection?" And before I can say anything, the boy in the front row right in front of me bursts out with, "BY A MILE!", with his hands thrown out to the side as far as he can reach as if he's telling you about the biggest fish anyone's ever caught! Everyone instantly bursts out laughing, me included. This is why I love teaching Family Life.

2 comments:

  1. Rolling on the floor. I don't know how you do it. I am definitely not cut out for teaching public education. I wouldn't make it through all of that. Shower or grower???? Killin' me here.

    ReplyDelete