Friday, August 17, 2012

Again, Mommy, Again.

So I'm singing to my daughter tonight, and she says, "Again, Mommy, again." And in that moment it struck me that there is no greater validation that a parent ever receives than when their child says, "Again." I was singing a Mary Poppins song. It's what I sing to them most nights when I want to sooth them and settle them and put them at ease and get them to hurry up, for the love of God, and go to sleep. Tonight she tells me, "You could have tried out for the part of Mary Poppins." She's seven. She doesn't know Julie Andrews from Dora the Explorer or Adele. But she thinks I'm good and that's all that matters. And I told her that. I said, "As long as you think I could be Mary Poppins, I'm happy." And she said, "You're my Mama Poppins and Daddy is my Daddy Poppins." If you knew what we were going through right now, you would know that was pretty special, pretty significant.

Right now, in this part of my life, I am working hard to focus on what is good in my life. It was actually an assignment given to me this week. And my children continuously remind me of how much I have that is good. Every time your children ask you to do something again, you can know that you did something great. You did something that makes someone so happy they need you to do it again and are not afraid to request it. You win. All we want, by we, I mean parents, is to help these little people be the best people they can be, and along the way, not hate us, preferably like us... a lot. And when they say, "Again, Mommy," I know I'm on the way.

3 comments:

  1. That's pretty sweet. I am just trying to picture out as Mary Poppins lol. That alone cracks me up. But if they love you and know you are their mama popping than all is right with the world

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do love me and I'm am their version of Mama, er, Mary Poppins and that feels pretty good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crap seriously I am not even drinking and I can't make my phone spell what I want. I am going to kick Siris butt here in a minute!! I meant mama Poppins. Not Popping

    ReplyDelete