Thursday, September 27, 2012

SAY IT: I'm Not Dying, Well Not Any Faster Than You, Promise.

Tonight I found out that someone I know is dying faster than she should. I can't say anything to anyone because, at this point, it's still confidential information. But I'm devastated and don't even want to say "I" in that sentence. It has nothing to do with me but it's the way I feel thinking about her. She's talented and smart and caring and generous and selfless and influential and important. She can not go. She can not disappear from her sphere of influence. And yet, it seems she will. She is important to my children, but I can't tell them yet. She is important in her work community, but they can't talk about it yet. She will be missed, but she's still here. My friends, who are much closer to her than I am, are falling apart, and I can't do anything to make it better. This can't be happening. But it is and it will.

That's it. Our entire lives, wise people tell us to make the most of each day, live like we're dying, love like we have nothing to lose, don't waste any time, and on and on. I've decided, I will. I will start with this person. This person who deserves the gratitude of so many. When it becomes public that she is not going to live a full life, I will sit down and tell her how much she means to me and my family. I will ask my family to do the same and we will say it to her. But after that, I will say it to each person in my life that I think has made my life better in any way. I've decided to SAY IT now and not wait until I feel the desperation of saying it in a hurry. I hope this goes well. She should not die in vain. She makes a difference.

I promise I'm not dying, not any faster than you. But I want to talk to you like I am. So that's what I'm going to try to do when I SAY IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment