Wednesday, October 10, 2012

I Love Awards Shows

I do. I love awards shows. It took a long time to admit it. I use to be the kind of person that would only admit to reading things like Scientific American and National Geographic. Then someone gave me a year-long subscription to People Magazine. I won't lie. I love it. I get my People renewed each year and I have no shame. None. And, not that I need to defend myself, I don't, but I don't watch cable tv, so I have no idea what's going on in popular culture. And I am a middle school teacher, so really, it's research. I mean if I'm not up on what's popular, they'll eat me alive. And really, I'm barely holding my own.

So anyway, I love People magazine which says something, not sure what. In addition to that, I LOVE movies. I mean I really love them. Ever since high school I've been the one that wanted to go to movies alone. I mean I'd like to go with someone, but if no one wants to go, I'm going anyway. I still get excited walking into a movie and waiting for it to start. I could go to a movie everyday if there were more hours in the day. And it's turned into a bit of a fixation. I now have to watch every movie that's nominated for best movie for an Academy Award. Now that there are ten movies nominated per year, that's a lot of movies. And I try to watch every best actor and best actress movie as well. Then, I always pretend that I'm going to have a fancy Oscars' party and invite friends over and roll out the red carpet... err.. butcher paper, but let's face it, they'll talk through the speeches and ruin it so I watch it alone drinking my homemade lemon drop martinis (with lemons from my lemon drop martini tree) in my jammies, quite happily, I might add.

Now the Oscars is the finale. I like the other ones, too. But people can talk during those. I won't get mad. They're the warm ups. I love the speeches. I love the clothes. I love the hosts, sometimes. Hugh Jackman was still my favorite Oscars host. You gotta sing and dance and be happy and not make people feel bad. I guess that's kind of how I feel about life, too. You gotta sing and dance and be happy and not make people feel bad.

2 comments:

  1. Is it bad that the only magazine I still get is Nat Geo? I even make the kids give me the 5 question geography quiz. Never scored better than 3/5, routinely bomb with 1/5.
    I agree re Hugh Jackman, hope he hosts again. Easy on the eyes and the mind.
    Meryl Streep wins for best speeches overall.

    And the random exuberance with which winners speak their minds and hearts, is truly heartwarming.
    Typically I cry, and laugh, and then I do what you do in reverse. I build my wish list for movies to watch based on the Oscars.

    My only hope, is that someday, without a 10 second delay for 'Janet Jackson' moments, someone actually lets fly a really big curse word or flips the bird when they cut off their once in a lifetime speech with bad music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cutting off of good speeches is annoying. There are plenty of other things to cut without cutting that. But I guess that's not what gets the ratings. My favorite Meryl Streep quote from last year for her win for best actress in Iron Lady was when she said, "When they called my name, I had this feeling I could hear half of America going, 'Oh no! Oh come on, why her? Again!' Ya know. But, whatever!

    ReplyDelete