Sunday, July 29, 2012

Networking

I am now convinced that all human life is about connections. The more connected each of us are, the more alive we are. Rich people understand that you have to connect with other rich people to increase opportunity. Poor people do not necessarily understand this (I realize this generalization is offensive). But  I bet poorer people understand that you have to connect to certain people to survive the reality of the situation with which they exist. If you want to get shit around your house fixed, it helps if you're in tight with the landlord, or have a handyman friend. If your car breaks down, it helps if you know a mechanic. And if you're paying attention to the kind of school your kid attends or happen to think about the idea that your kid might not just have the option of attending the public school within your property boundaries, but might have the option of attending a private school in the area, you might start to consider the people within you sphere of influence that have connections to the "best" private schools around. But you first have to have the experience to even consider this.

All life is who we know. Because who we know and what we experience determines the kind of questions that we ask of ourselves and those around us. This thought comes from many directions. It doesn't really matter why or where it comes from, but what I now believe is that the more connected we are, the more opportunity we have. Seems pretty obvious, really. And, yet, there isn't a class on this, or there wasn't when I was in school. Nobody said, "look, kid, you need to reach out and talk to lots of people and make connections and establish relationships because you never know which person will be able to open doors that would otherwise remained closed to you." But that's really what it is.

So, here is what I'm thinking. Do not keep to yourself. No matter what you are experiencing in life. It can never really hurt to reach out. Extend yourself. Look like an idiot. Expose your vulnerability. Talk to people. Share who you really are. And as you connect, a door opens. That's it. That's what I will do from here on out. I will connect with as many people as I can for many reasons. Because it selfishly gives me more opportunities. Because it feels good to make new friends. Because it's nice to think about a lot of people "filling my room" whenever I need it (only Scott will understand this). Because, ultimately, if you think about it, it is possible to connect with everyone on Earth (a few people have come close: Martin Luther King, Jr., Ghandi, Oprah, Mother Theresa, etc.), and if we do so, the ability to impact change through our sphere of influence is immeasurable. That is my goal. I want to have the most positive influence on the biggest number of people as I can. Time to "network".

1 comment:

  1. So right on point. The job I have now I got because I pursued a connection. The one prior to this one as well. Most people go through this life in their own bubble, how great it is to get out of that bubble and see what can happen.

    Love it! Networking away

    ReplyDelete